Friday, August 1, 2008

a tale of awkward proportions

It all started with a note.

That somehow turned into a small scale battle of wits and attack on my intelligence.

Well, by the time it was over, I felt the need to clarify... in person. And make sure there were no real ill feelings.

So I began to tell him I was sorry if he had misunderstood what I was saying, I didn't want to have any hostile air between us etc. You get the point right?

And then it happened. He looked at me and assured me that it was no problem... and then reached out to hug me.

***insert graphic description of said hug here***

My motto when it comes to hugging *most* people (especially guys, and people I don't know very well) is the "side hug."

Remember kids! Side hugs are for friends!

I attempted to get into a side hug, however, he commandeered the hug, and embraced me in a way that made me feel like i had known him much more than I was aware of ;)

So I reciprocated, so as not to make it worse... and when I felt that the time elapsed during our embrace was enough, I attempted to loosen myself to end the hug.

Um, yah. He didn't. In fact, he kept holding on for long enough that I felt awkward enough in my "loosened hug state" that I actually hugged him again.

To top it all off, there may or may not have been some back-patting involved.

Finally, the most ridiculously awkward hug in my life ended. And I retreated to safety whereupon I realized that Alicia had seen the whole thing. She confirmed that it was NOT all in my imagination and that it was indeed highly awkward.


Ok, so I lived through that disaster... never expecting the scenario to repeat itself...

I know what you're thinking right now...

Yep, you think it happened again don't you?

Well...

You're right. It did. In fact, it was just this past week. And it happened TWICE!

IN THE SAME DAY!

Oh it gets better, let me tell you.

Last night, just before I was about to drift off into a peaceful slumber, Alicia texted me to let me know that she was experiencing some awkward moments herself that she related to aforementioned awkward hugs.

Due to the fact that I was already in sleep mode, can you take a stab at what I dreamed about last night?

That stupid awkward hug!

And it wasn't just one of the past hugs repeating itself, it was a completely NEW hug, and NEW circumstances... my mind is telling me that I am secretly in love with this person... and I am telling my mind that it's on CRACK!


Photobucket

12 extraordinary comments:

Melissa August 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM  

JUST your mind's on crack?

Amanda. Your SOMETHING ELSE! Seriously!!!!

I love you, and adore you. lol

Anonymous August 1, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Oh, Amanda!!! Don't you just HATE things like that!! The worst part is there is nothing you can do.
I sure hope it doesn't happen again!!!
You are so funny!!!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub August 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM  

Awwww-kward!! Yikes!

And to happen again! Hhmmmm....

Maybe someone is in love with YOU!

-Andrea

Unknown August 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

All I can think of to say is ewwww...I am so sorry! Maybe just hold your hand up next time to high five him?
Lol! You must keep us updated, hon!

Alistar August 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM  

ha ha ha this is seriously hilarious...

MICHELLE August 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

OK that's totally funny and of course I'm wondering who said hugger is and if he reads your blog...hmmm...

Laural Out Loud August 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Incorrect hugging is the worst! It's left me wondering if I've actually been hugging the wrong way my whole life, and perhaps I should be holding the hugs for a LOT longer. Thank goodness someone else was there to assure you!

Lex the mom August 3, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

Nothing better than a life happening well told...and this was!

I've had those, it's been several years, though. Funny how with age, the awkwardness passes, for me anyhow. I'll hug just about anyone! ;)

Don'tcha love it when those awkward moments haunt our dreams? You'll have to let us know what transpires next.

Anonymous August 4, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

How awkward! Nothing is worse than an awkward hug. Except of course, an awkward kiss!

Jenny August 8, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

yes...that does sound all to weird and out of sorts. i am with chelle on this one. maybe a high five is in order the next time around.
great blog!

Briya August 8, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

I totally agree with American Mum...nothing beats an akward hug, but a awkward kiss..EWWW..

Good luck with that.

Carol August 9, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

Oh no I hate the awkward anything. When I first met my mother in law I thought she was attempting a polite kiss on the cheek in farewell and so prepared to politely peck her cheek when she actually hugged me I ended up kissing her neck.

Still embarrassed 6 years later!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008      ©Layout Designed ' by Indelible Creations 2009

Back to TOP